Monday, February 28, 2011

Brayer Technique....

For those of you that are just learning how to use a brayer, please know that I am just beginning to get the hang of this beautiful technique.  It is a truly beautiful technique and you can expect beautiful results.  The key is to practice, practice, practice. 

When I signed up for the brayer technique in the blog hop, I wasn’t thinking clearly.  My use of the brayer was very limited.  I knew the concept and had demoed a brayer sky in one of my clubs.  Getting ready for this blog hop was a little stressful for me.  You see, these ladies are very talented and I want to fit in!  So what’s a girl to do?  I studied and studied the beautiful talents of Michelle Zindorf.  In fact, the first card that I did, I tried to follow Michelle’s example to a “T”.  To see this project, go here and compare it to my project below.


What did I do differently?  I used different classic ink pads (Pacific Point, Tempting Turqouise and Basic Black), a different stamp set (Elements of Style), and a different layout.  You can still clearly see how Michelle inspired me.

If I had offer any tips, I would say…

1)  Study different brayer techniques.  Find an artist that you respect and study their technique.
2)  Use Whisper White cardstock.  If you try to use cheaper cardstock, the colors just don’t seem to pop or blend very well.
3)   I know this may sound crazy, but get some crayons and draw out your scene so that you can picture it clearly in your mind.  Once I started actually using the brayer, I got frustrated because I just simply felt a little overwhelmed.  Having that simple little drawing in front of me seemed to make me feel a little more relaxed.
4)  Work into the cardstock.  In other words, don’t start rolling onto your project but roll from your scrap paper (my scrap paper was also Whisper White cardstock).  If you don’t do this, you’ll end up with lines that are difficult to blend and those lines will be very visible.
5)  Don’t try to blend more than 3 colors at the same time or you’ll end up with a muddy looking image.
6)  Always start with the lightest color when blending.
7)  Make sure you clean your brayer frequently so that you don’t accidently mess up your ink pads or your project.
8)  When you are inking the brayer, don’t simply use back and forth motions.  If you do this, your brayer will not be fully inked.  It’ll only be ¼ or ½ inked.  Instead, pick roll only in one direction picking the brayer up each time and starting over.
9)  Keep a clean sponge nearby in case you need to fix something quickly.
10)  Practice and practice again.

I know theres probably more tips but right now that’s all I can think about.

0 comments:

 
Custom blog design by Blogger Boutique using HollyAnn's Sorbet Garden kit.